There have been several books written about the history of the Alton Downs district. However, information on the original settlement of Alton Downs is still very scarce. We are undertaking a project to source and compile the history of the first farmers and graziers who bought or leased land in the Alton Downs district; particularly, from 1861within the Rockhampton Agricultural Reserve.
Anyone who wishes to contribute to this project by supplying documents, maps, photos or any other information about the early development of the district please contact .
- o 0 0 o -
Alton Downs, originally known as Rockhampton Agricultural Reserve or the Agricultural Reserve, took its name from Alton, the place where the first teacher Miss M. Marsh lived while teaching at the provisional school which was opened in 1888. Being downs country the second half of the name followed naturally. The first half is most likely from Alton, in Hampshire, England.
James Spreadborough was the licensee in 1902.
State Library of Queensland
More History of the Alton Downs district
Local information for local residents.
This website is for the benefit of residents from the northern and western, urban and rural centres in the Rockhampton region of Central Queensland. Anyone wishing to connect with the residents of Alton Downs, Balcomba, Boomer Range, Bushley, Calioran, Canoona, Dalma, Fairy Bower, Garnant, Glenavon, Glenroy, Gracemere, Kabra, Kalapa, Lion Mountain, Morinish, Mount Carpenter, Native Cat Range, Nine Mile, Pink Lily, Prospect, Redbank, Ridgelands, Round Mountain, South Yaamba, Stanwell, Sugarloaf Mountain, The Lookout, Waroula, Westwood, Woodville, Wycarbah or anyone residing in the Rockhampton regional district can have their information included.
To submit items to be included in the Fitzroy Ridges website or, for more information contact:
Back to top of page